31 May 2008

Major Assignment - Update

Well, the idea of drawing up a CAD model has been officially thrown out the window. I imagine a physical model will be a lot more work but surely it wont be as frustrating as it has been for me working on CAD.

I have been working out dimensions and stuff for a 1:10 model and it works out that at this scale the model will br 340mm length x 340mm depth x 7000mm height. This seems to me to be alright, the risk is that not enough detail will be shown but I will try my best. On the Assignment instruction it does say to make a 5m x 5m section but I have chosen to do a 3.4m x 3.4m section because that it the span between two columns. Making the section model from a 6.8m x 6.8m section will not actually bring more information or detail to the model because it would just be repetition. The height from floor to ceiling I made at 3.6m and width I wanted to be as close to this as possible so that the grid was cubic.

Below is a photocopy of my workings sheet:

On the above image there is also a rough diagram of how I think the footings will look (bottom left) and how I want the model to show peeling away of layers on each floor.

No comments: